Thursday, June 14, 2007

If any one says anything about a "cool job" I will cut them into cubes and make 22 pound people bags

I have started working at ice company recently. It's called Home City Ice, and it's a large ice company with branches all over the Midwest and PA. Also producing ice is possibly the lamest thing ever. I am a logistcal technician. (I load trucks, with, you guessed it ICE, and because you guessed it, you get, you guessed it again some ice, wow you're a good guesser.) Basically my job is to get a truck from the lot, fill it with diesel fuel, back it into the docks, remove old ice from the back, load the truck for tomorrows run, return the truck to the lot, and then check it out to make sure there isn't any major problems. Basically I do this, get a truck from the lot, spill fuel allover myself, and sometimes wring out my shirt into the gas tank, reverse the truck at a large fraction of the speed of light into the the dock. (seriously for the first week I gave myself some wicked wiplash backing up trucks, I sued. the legal battle is getting ugly, apparently I know about some of the less moral things that I have done to the following organizations, FDA, Boy Scouts of America, OPEC, NAMBLA, Boy Scouts of Mexico, PETA, the NRA, Public Radio, Boy Scouts of Qatar. ) Then if the truck is pretty clean I load it up and send it home, but when the trucks come back dirty, then that is where I get aggitated. Most drivers are pretty good about cleaning up the messes in the backs of trucks, Empty bags of ice, pallets, the celofane from the pallet wrappings, all that jazz, anyways, some aren't and leave huge messes for me to clean up. Which isn't my job, (neither is covering my self in fuel, but what can I say, I like the smell) I talked to my managers about the messes, I talked to the drivers, and still nothing changed, so I talked to that little guy on my left shoulder. And he informed me about how to save some money on car insurance, and how to get the drivers back too. Now when I find trash in the backs of trucks, all that trash is moved to the cab of the truck, good luck driving with a cab full of empty ice bags. One driver left food in the back of his truck, I don't know why he was eating in the back of an ice truck, but apparently he thought it was such a good idea he left me half a sub so I could try, instead I moved it under his seat for a few days, and then placed it on the steering wheel with a note explaining to him the finer points of keeping his truck clean. ("This is your sandwich from last sunday! Don't leave shit in the back of your truck!") So far my personal war is working, casualties have been had on both sides, today I opened up a truck with a tipped skid of ice on it. (imagine a truck filled knee deep with snow, now imagine it in 7 pound bags, that's about the size of it) So now that driver has a pallet of ice without a celophane wrapper leaning against his back door, (Imagine an avalanche, now imagine it in 7 pound bags.)

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

I like your scheming. You are soooo funny.